|Catholic Parish - Dioceses of Cork and Ross, County Cork - Ireland|
List of Documents
O'Mahony: History and Placenames
O'Donoghue: History and Placenames
Kilmichael Ambush - 28th November 1920
Notes made by Fr Cornelius O'Brien, PP and preserved in the parish archives
St. Enda's Church. Johnstown.
St. Enda's, derived from Kileanna, a cill dedicated to St. Enda of Aran. The church was built about 1820, in simple cruciform style, by Father James O'Driscoll, P.P. The site is believed to have been given by Hosford, Bandon.
Church of St. Michael
The site. of the Church of St. Michael, built before 1437 was the present graveyard of Kilmichael. The church was in disuse in 1639. In 1656 nothing remained but the walls. In 1700 Bishop Downes tells us it had been built 'of stone and lime, about 50. feet long, besides the west end, which is divided by a wall; it looks like a house.' In 1914 the walls, measuring about 40' 8" by 24' 6" could be traced in the grass, to the south of the Protestant Church built on the site between 1708 and 1728. The Protestant church was in disuse about 1911, and there is now no trace of even the walls.
The first church or chapel in the district was in a field of Bradley's, south-east of the present church of Cooldorragha, called Páirc a' tSéipéil. An old road ran from the Cooldorragha-Tarelton road by its site. In 1731 It was stated that there were two places of worship in Kilmichael - one at Kilnadur and the other at Páirc a' tSéipéil. This probably dates from about 1730 to 1791.
St. Michael's Cooldorrihy
A church on the present site, built near a lios was constructed in 1791 by Father Horgan, P.P. The record is on a stone in the sacristy: 'Hoc fieri fecit Revd. Cornelius Horgan Anno Domini 1791
Father O'Driscoll P.P. intended to build a new church on a new site to replace the church of 1791', but the people objected to its removal. He then rebuilt a larger church on the same site in 1870. It is now dedicated to St. Michael (recte Blessed Michael, Archangel).
Under the ancient parish of Macloneigh, I find the following: Church of St. Finbarr. The "Red Spot" in East Toames is believed to have been a penal times site, The huge rock over the site makes a suitable altar. According to tradition, nothing has grown on the spot although many attempts have been made to produce vegetation. In 1731, it is related, there was one priest and one place of worship in Macloneigh. It cannot be stated with certainty where this place was. It is probable that it was the old church, now a disused school, in the present grounds of Toames church. The old church was a thatched one and ran parallel with the existing church If, as we may well suppose, it was the place of worship mentioned in 1731, it continued in existence till 1832, The present Church of St. Finbarr was built by Father James O'Driscoll, P.P. in Toames In 1832. The ground on which the church is built belonged to John O'Mahony whose descendants are still in evidence, The landlord was Lord Bandon. The church was repaired on many occasions. Recently Father John Gould, who is the first canon in the history of the parish, erected a new altar of oak. The old school, often in dispute between contending parties looking for a places of amusement, ought to be preserved as a link with the past. Father O'Driscoll, who built the church, is interred within the edifice, but there is no inscription to his memory.
C O'Brien 10 Sept 1966